About Me

Currently working with Engineers Without Borders Canada, in partnership with an international NGO, in the area of rural water supply. I've worked at the National level on a governance initiative and currently at a District trying to develop a water point monitoring system. My key area of interest is in designing user-centered systems and services.

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Good Intentions

I came across a website about a series of films on the aid industry - called Beyond Good Intentions. I was reading the directors blog and it seems really interesting. Unfortunately, my internet access is through a sim card modem and I'll have to wait till I get back to the land of broadband to check them out. But I'd encourage you to take a look and let me know what you thought.

The title of the series reminded me of Ivan Illich's speech from 1968, To Hell with Good Intentions. It was a part of the training material during pre-departure. I just re-read it and found that it put words to many of the thoughts I've had out here. Hope it makes you question some assumptions too.

1 comment:

  1. That is some solid development propagan... err marketing there. My sister was in the room while I was watching the Peace Corps video and she agreed that it was the most fun placement she'd had. I have a feeling that she still might be collecting recruiting bonus checks though. But for real, that is a good site to share with young ppl to get them to perhaps try that out rather than jumping into the private sector or government right out of school.

    ReplyDelete